Natural Climate Solutions
Investing in land and water conservation and restoration that can help reduce greenhouse gases and build resilience to the impacts of climate change.
Why it matters:
Restoring natural ecosystems is one of the most important ways for Routt and Moffat County residents to reduce carbon emissions and build resilience to the impacts of climate change. Natural climate solutions (NCS) are land management practices — conservation, restoration, and improved management — in our grasslands, forests and wetlands that increase carbon storage and resilience and reduce GHG emissions. NCS have the potential to deliver up to one-third of our needed global GHG emissions reductions by 2030, and up to one-fifth of our national GHG emissions, and increase resilience by increasing soil, river and forest health. For YVSC, creating NCS pathways that work means bringing the people and landscapes of this unique alpine, agricultural and riparian region together through climate action.
Learn more about Natural Climate Solutions
Watch the Routt County Wildfire Conference
What we are doing
Annual ReTree Event
A community celebration of trees
A vital landscape, a valuable climate solution
What you can do
- Yale Climate Connections
- This article discusses the importance of natural climate solutions as climate action strategies.
- The Yampa River Fund is an important funding source for YVSC’s NCS work.
- PBS’ This American Land and Water Education Colorado highlight ReTree’s planting event in its tenth year.
- How Locals Are Banding Together to Protect the Yampa River – 5280 Magazine
- Colorado’s Fly-Fishing Industry Faces the Growing Threat of Climate Change – 5280 Magazine