DECEMBER 22, 2017 BY
Written by: Cameron Hawkins, Waste Diversion Director, YVSC
With the holidays in full swing, YVSC encourages community members to take advantage of local recycling options and the organization’s tips to reduce waste.
- For holiday feasts, an online portion estimator will help determine how much food to cook. If there are leftovers, eat them the next day or put them in the freezer.
- Since most wrapping paper is not recyclable, wrap gifts in newspaper or reusable materials.
- Christmas trees can be recycled at the Howelsen Ice Arena from December 31 – January 31, and old holiday lights can be recycled at Ace Hardware.
- The holidays are a common time for people to get new, and recycling old electronics is the law in Colorado.
- In partnership with Blue Star Recyclers in Denver, Aces High is now accepting electronics and some batteries for recycling at their location on the West side of town for a fee.
- Old cell phones can always be recycled for free at YVSC’s office at 141 9th St.
For more information on recycling locally visit our A-Z guide and YVSC’s tips for greening your holidays.