APRIL 2, 2015 BY
PLANNING A TRIP THIS OFF-SEASON? HELPFUL TRAVEL TIPS TO HELP REDUCE YOUR CARBON FOOTPRINT!
- Looking to book a place to stay? Search for LEED certified and/or environmentally friendly hotels, B&B’s and lodges. There are a number of websites that list green-friendly places to stay.
- If you need to fly, try to book a non-stop flight. A significant amount of a plane’s carbon emissions comes from takeoff and landing.
- Forget the plastic and pack reusable cloth bags, water bottles, coffee mugs and utensils.
- Turn off and unplug any appliances in your home or apartment, and set your thermostat low. This will save energy and save you money!
- If you need to rent a car, rent a small car, and if possible, a hybrid car (and don’t forget to carpool!).
- Buy local! When visiting your destination, look to buy local foods and goods. Visit the local Farmers’ Market and eat in locally-owned restaurants instead of national chains.
- If planning to hike or camp, make sure to stay on designated trails to avoid destroying vegetation.
- If camping or hiking, always pack out your trash (and recycle when possible!).
- Leave the destination as you found it. Never remove wildlife from it’s natural environment including shells, flowers and coral.